because WE can totally make that!

4.01.2011

SPRING INEXPENSIVE CENTERPIECE




Ya know how after a 12 hour shift scraping dime size pieces of wallpaper off of the In-Laws house, you come home and just have the urge to make a pinwheel?   No??  Ya me neither.  Truth be told... I as always, for good reason I am sure, had procrastinated getting my centerpieces done.  I owed one of my BFF's several crafting IOU's.  She had the wonderful opportunity of being in charge of our church's women's night.  Which then gave me the wonderful opportunity to be her big helper.  I know what you are thinking...How could they be so lucky?
Yaddy, Yaddy, Yaddy...on March 23, at 3:00 a.m. my pinwheel centerpiece was born.
(Early too may I add?  They really didn't need to be done until 10:00 a.m. that morning)

*Table runners are wrapping paper ($2 per roll) we cut to size (FYI: make sure you double check size of paper and size of tables)
*Green plate  ($1)
*6 glass vases I had just waiting to get out of their bubble wrap once I remembered where I had put all of them.
*misc. items flowers, ribbon, and tulle
*cutest stinking pinwheels you have ever seen

Let's get started....
1.

~ I first painted my wooden dowels and a few brads with Lavender. FYI:  Lavender is the new Pink!
wooden dowels and paint can be found at your local Hardware store.  I prefer ACE Hardware because I  get everything at cost.  You should also because they are voted #1 for customer service. :)

2.

~ While they are drying.... cut your second favorite paper into squares. (Not your very favorite paper because that paper is just too cute to ever use.  You know what paper I am talking about.)   If you are like me and only have one sided paper  then use spray on adhesive to adhere papers back to back.

3.

4.  Take all of your squares 4X4, 6X6, 8X8, 12X12 are the sizes that I used.  (smaller than 4x4 is difficult to work with.)
~ Make an 'X'  by drawing 2  lines from corner to corner
~ cut on lines leaving about a 1" square in center.
                                             
~Using a matching brad.. poke a hole in every other corner, connecting 4 out of the 8 triangular corners.  Then push brad through center.  It is easier if you pre-poke holes with a large needle or one of those poky things like in photo above.
~ hot glue pinwheel to painted wooden dowel
5.
~  I use styrofoam chunks to hold things into place.  "Why?" you ask.  A) "Why not? "   B) because I have pieces laying around from another project  C) because it's 3:00 a.m. and I am running out of time, options, and patience.  Your answer?  (insert Jeopardy music here)
Answer: ( D )   A-C  are all true.

~ Add ribbon and/or flowers to dress up outside of vases.  Then add some of your tulle leaving space on top of styrofoam to push dowels in.  Make sure wooden dowels are at different heights and you should use an odd amount whenever you are grouping items.  Push pinwheels into styrofoam then fill with more tulle as you like.



6.  Assemble on table, then, sit back and enjoy.

PHEW! Done!  well not quite.  Now, what are you gonna do with over 30 pinwheels?  WAIT!!!  Yes, I have an idea.  Imagine that...

Next Tutorial.....
Bring it on home
Bridget

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you totally called out the "Use your second favorite paper, because your favorite paper is too cute to use" JUST because you get that, I will be following your blog from now on, you are a kindred spirit, I just know it ;) LOVE your pin-wheels, AWESOME. Still a little unsure about exactly how you made them, could you maybe, when you find a spare moment amidst your crazy busy life as we all have show some more step by steps for just the pinwheel making process. Also, wrapping paper for table runner-genius. GENIUS! I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete